[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
NEOGLOW • View topic - Rizwans Mercedes S320

Rizwans Mercedes S320

Ours build logs for customers and friends. Watch out this section to see our work.

Rizwans Mercedes S320

Postby Neo » Fri May 28, 2010 12:59 am

Vehicle: Mercedes S320 2002
Owner: Rizwan
Existing System: Factory setup by Nokia

Proposed system
Front Speakers: Focal Access 165A1 Components
Rear Speakers: Focal Access 165A1 Components
Amp: JBL GTO5355
Sub: Focal Access 30A1
Power wire KIT: NEOGLOW 4 AWG KIT
Head unit: Alpine CDA9886 (The CD drive isnt working)

The Point: The customer requires a decent sounding setup and is focused on sound quality. Also interested in a different kind of setup in the trunk and maybe save some space. Something like a stealth setup. Requires the Garmin GPS to be mounted in a specific place. Requires the car phone hands free to be still working. Try to connect the Mercedes CD changer to alpine unit. Retain steering wheel control to the alpine

Feedback from installers: Easy job isnt it? fix speakers, headunit, amplifier, subwoofer. WRONG!!!
Removal of doors, installation of speakers, installation of tweeters, installation of components, wiring configuration on the doors, simply 2 days job.
Pulling of 3 pair RCA cable, remote sub wires, from the front to the rear is a days job.
Custom sub woofer enclosure designing, box building, carpet wrapping is 2 days job.
Installation of Head unit, wiring, installation of sub box in the trunk with custom mounting and alignment is a days job.

Now we have more work left and keeping out fingers crossed.

Some pictures. Some of the customizations pictures are not posted.

The dampening is well done on a merc, door pads hard to remove and install.

For reference, Before

For reference, before

Factory speaker box, good build but requires some serious work to get it to work with the focals

Nokia speakers on Mercedes, one word!!! SUX. Just check out the state.

Focal says, i am not going to fit in that easily

NOKIAAAAA

After some serious engineering!!!! Factory fit and flush.
Neo
Site Admin

Re: Rizwans Mercedes S320

Postby Neo » Fri May 28, 2010 1:11 am

NOTE:
Its not possible to integrate with the factory CD changer since the connectivity is optic fiber cable.
Its not possible now to integrate with factory steering wheel controls since the can bus integration for alpine hu is not available. Also its better not to meddle with mercs systems.

More pics.

Big doors but not an inch space to fix the components.

Fixing the focal tweeters on factory mounting. Real hard job with not space.

Front door

Hmmm!!! It might not be possible to close the door with the HU placed inside.

Components on rear door pad

The hard work, sub box + Amp rack

Wrapped in black carpet.

Test fitting on the removed trunk carpet panel.

Will settle for this orientation of the amplifier

Optic fiber connection from cd changer

Clamps of sub box installation

Test fitting of the sub

75% poly filled sub box.

More clear pics tomorrow.
Neo
Site Admin

Postby SQ_scoob » Fri May 28, 2010 11:13 am

Another quality install by Neoglow!!! Keep em' coming :)

Neo, for the tuning please do put the attenuation of the tweaters at -3db, I think the stock grill will help in filtering out the slight brightness of the A1's tweets. ;)
SQ_scoob

Postby Neo » Fri May 28, 2010 12:21 pm

Thanks scoob, considering the last install, i have kept the attenuation at -6 DB. We can always setup the EQ a bit high if we there is some loss.
Some day time pictures.
I guess i need to switch to a better camera than the phone.
The 5 mp of the Motorola Android and half as good as the E90 3mp.

Lot work still left, extremely hard to crawl in between the enclosure amp rack and the trunk bottom to do the wiring.
I just want to switch on the system and listen.

View from the bottom
Neo
Site Admin

Postby al_ainawi_786 » Fri May 28, 2010 5:02 pm

Cant wait to see the complete install .. grt work man i know how it is difficult to work on Merc. gr8 job keep it up. just don forget to complete the photo session :)
Nissan Sunny 1997
HU Kenwood DDX 8032 (DVD)
Kicker & Infinity Mids & highs
1 Long ba Amp 100 RMS X 4
2 Kicker KX 1200.1 Amps 1200 rms each
2 RockFord fosgate 1 FD Caps
1 Kicker Solo x 12
110 Amp Alternator
al_ainawi_786

Postby rizmoh1999 » Fri May 28, 2010 7:34 pm

Hi Guys...

I am glad to see some pic finally ,thanks a lot... installation on merc looks similar to brain surgery on Einstein :lol: but pleased to see its finally taking shape, its taken awfull lotng time. but i can understand the implications of a wrong install that can mess up the car electricals. I cant believe that Merc has gone with nokia to set up a car audio system, totally retard stuff!! the installation looks great and i hope it sounds better!! dissapointed tho that i wont be able to close the panel i was hoping the HU will be concealed so as keep the original look of the facia :cry: i hope the box in the trunk will not be a problem to shove in big luggage or getting the spare tyre out, i am planning more add ons in future to the Alpine HU like the Imprint sound processor and stuff but lets see how the system sounds in the first place, i am kinda getting impatient.. chop chop guys!!

Cheers
rizmoh1999

Postby Neo » Sat May 29, 2010 12:48 am

We finished the trunk setup today.
The trunk lights original location was covered by the box so we had to move them.
One trunk light wasnt working anyways.
The amp box was locked to the body so it doesnt move.
Amplifier was fitted, connected tuned.
Power wire cables were routed and fixed.
Prilimnary tuning completed, futher tuning tomorrow.

Thats some comment Rizwan. :lol:

We totally understand your impatience as we would have been in the same situation if we were in your shoes. Actually I asked for six days to do the work peacefully. But trust me when i say we have been working on you car since the day it reached us. No breaks!

Even einstiens brain would have had less nerves... this has hell lotsa optic fiber cables.

Merc and BMW has nokia speakers and few components. We have seen this before.

We are still trying to close the panel, dont have any hope though. Few things like installation of GPS, car Phone and HU fixing should happen by tomorrow.

And i was really impressed with the sound, after all I am a SPL guy so a little bit of SOQ would impress me. I dont think rizwan will be disappointed with the sound for sure.

The imprint should make it better, I had the same feeling before listening to it. But now i doubt whether you will need imprint. Listen and then lets see.

Big luggage. Hmmm!!! I will let you be the judge.
Spare tire!!! no problem as the box will never be in your way. We already checked that option while mounting the box.

Factory style mounting of trunk lights in a different location

From left to right
Power wire in a sleeve for safety
Black carpet used to avoid sharp edges on the power wire (mercedes style)
Huh!!! whats that yellow wire? Optic fiber???

Wires and wires!!!

New home for the trunk lights

Spare wheel remove DIY :mrgreen:

A Flat tire some day wouldnt let curse your car audio setup this time.
Neo
Site Admin

Postby al_ainawi_786 » Sat May 29, 2010 9:32 am

yo neo pertaining to the owner requirements you installed the woofer at the top & that is for the sake of saving space for luggage & to be mobile while handling with spare tire.
Now as the space under the woofer can be utilized therefore i see that it would be perfect if the woofer is protected by a grill in order to allow comfortable & safe usage of the space under the woofer .... wat do u think ?
Nissan Sunny 1997
HU Kenwood DDX 8032 (DVD)
Kicker & Infinity Mids & highs
1 Long ba Amp 100 RMS X 4
2 Kicker KX 1200.1 Amps 1200 rms each
2 RockFord fosgate 1 FD Caps
1 Kicker Solo x 12
110 Amp Alternator
al_ainawi_786

Postby rizmoh1999 » Sat May 29, 2010 1:09 pm

Hi Neo,

Looks pretty good, i am sure lot of hard work that has gone into making this thing work, i am sure there are only few in the UAE market who could seriously attemp such a stunt!! keep up the good work guys.
rizmoh1999

Postby Neo » Sat May 29, 2010 4:12 pm

More tuning today morning. It sounds really nice. I love it!!!
Rear seats, panels, guards all installed.
We will try to keep the car ready by today night.
Head unit and the mounting was removed to check if the unit can be pushed in. But its not possible. Check the pics for the reason.

The back wall stops the unit from going in any further

Customer requirement: Mount the GPS at that specific location.

There was no other way to retain the factory mounting on the garmin unit and also not damage the factory systems on the facia. The back plate wrapped in black vinyl matching the pattern of the facia leather is placed with a gap so the display and buttons behind is not damaged. The GPS is mounted on the suction cup system.

Adjustable to driver needs

Trunk all cleaned up and tidy

Next, car phone speakers and HU fitting.
Neo
Site Admin

Next

Return to Neoglow's Build Logs